Genl. Manager's Bungalow (1911)
Town Hall then
Sakchi Market then
Early modes of Transport
History of Jamshedpur
The original name of Jamshedpur was Sakchi. In 1919, Sakchi was renamed as Jamshedpur in tribute to Tata Steel's Founder Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata. The Railway station at Jamshedpur is known as Tatanagar. Jamshedpur is India's first cosmopolitan and planned industrial city. It is a model of harmonious coexistence of industry and environment, with acres of verdant parks and gardens dotting the city and providing bucolic sanctuaries from the pressure of everyday life.
While building this beautiful city, Jamshetji Tata had said ...
"Be Sure to lay wide streets planted with shady trees, every other of a quick growing variety. Be sure that there is plenty of space for lawns and gardens; reserve large areas for football, hockey and parks; earmark areas for Hindu temples, Mohammedan mosques and Christian churches."
How it all started?
The Road to Sakchi Began in Pittsburgh ...
At the turn of the nineteenth century, Jamshedji Tata went to Pittsburgh and asked geologist Charles Page Perin to help him find the site to build his dream - India's first steel plant. The search for a site rich in iron, coal, limestone and water began in April 1904 in today's Madhya Pradesh. The intrepid hunters were C M Weld, Dorab Tata and Shapurji Saklatvala. It took nearly three years of painstaking prospecting across vast stretches of inhospitable terrain for Dame Fortune to smile. And smile she did, near a village called Sakchi(now part of Tatanagar), on the densely forested stretches of the Chhota Nagpur plateau.
The hunt was over. But a greater adventure was yet to begin. The task was awesome. Building a steel plant was a titanic enterprise. And so was the Steel City. But Jamshedji's blueprint was clear. It looked beyond a mere row of workers hutments. He insisted upon building all the comforts and conveniences a city could provide.
The Picture on the right side shows the Kalimati railway station as it was in those days which was later renamed Tatanagar. People engaged in the gigantic task of building often had to encounter bears and elephants whose legitimate territory they were usurping. According to one story the same station was the maternity ward for a bear who delivered her cub in the station master's room.
Jamshedpur is bounded by the Subarnrekha river on the north, the Kharkai river on the west, the Bengal-Nagpur Railway in the south, and the Tata Steel Works and other companies on the east. Thus the city has a well defined boundary.
Tata Steel treated this well defined area as one unit from Town Planning point of view and developed the city along with the Steel Works. The credit of what the city is today goes entirely to Tata Steel.